Kalam refuses to contest presidential poll against Pranab


Monday, June 18, 2012: In a rebuff to Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and BJP, former President A P J Abdul Kalam on Monday announced that he would not contest the Presidential poll against UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
Issuing a formal announcement, he said he had taken the decision after considering “the totality of this matter and the present political situation”.
Kalam, who was propped up by Trinamool as a nominee for the Presidential poll to be held on July 19, said, “though I have never aspired to serve another term or shown interest in contesting the elections”, Mamata Banerjee and other political parties “wanted me” to be the candidate.
“Many, many citizens have also expressed the same wish. It only reflects their love and affection for me and the aspiration of the people. I am really overwhelmed by this support,” his statement said.
“This being their wish, I respect it. I want to thank them for the trust they have in me,” he said, adding, “I have considered the totality of this matter and the present political situation, and decided not to contest the Presidential election 2012.”

No comments: