I’ll light lamp again, if need be: G Sudhakaran

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Minister G Sudhakaran has said if it is necessary, he will light lamps at functions he attends. But there is no change in his stand on lighting lamp. “I had made the comment on lighting lamp as part of spreading a viewpoint. That doesn’t mean I shall never light a lamp. I was not talking about functions in our homes. What I tried to convey was lighting of lamp need not be mandatory at government functions,” he said.  

The minister said there is no such tradition in administration. In the article written by EMS 50 years ago also, this was mentioned. At a government function, C H Muhammed Koya said he would not light lamp and EMS supported that.

“My opinion was well-received by people. T Padmanabhan congratulated me. My 87-year-old mother lights lamp even today. When I won election from Kayamkulam, my mother went to Ochira and brought a pot of water from there and poured over my head… In Muthukulam I made that comment while speaking at a function against casteism. I said that with the intention of fostering secularism in children. The controversy was made to create the impression that Sudhakaran is a controversial person,” he explained.

No comments: