My health condition does not allow me to bend, says Sakthan

THIRUVANATHAPURAM: My health condition does not allow me to bend, said assembly speaker N Sakthan after he got embroiled in a controversy when his driver was seen helping him wear his sandal at a function.

The doctor has directed me not to bend as I have diabetic retinopathy, said the speaker. That is why my driver Biju helped me to remove my sandals during the paddy harvest function at the assembly complex yesterday. He said this in response to the ‘picture of his driver removing his sandals’ was carried in dailies today.

The speaker said one among 10,000 has this disease. As I have diabetic retinopathy, the doctors have strictly directed me to follow three things--not to bend in any case, not to lift heavy weight and eyes should be protected from heat. Cherian Philip and Peethambara Kurup know about my disease, he said.

I never asked Biju, my relative to remove my sandals. As I have this disease, he will accompany me always. When I travel inside Kerala, he will be there with me and when I go out of Kerala, my wife accompanies me. Biju has been with me for the past 20 years. He removed my sandals the other day as he knows about my health condition, Sakthan said.

I am unhappy as the issue got embroiled in a controversy without understanding the truth.  They could have asked me the reason, he said.

Sakthan said, “I mingle with people without looking at my post. I am not from a sound family. Whenever I visit temple, church and houses, I wear a sandal without a back strap so that I can remove it easily. Alphonse Kannamthanam has lifted my suitcase even without asking.”

A minister during the LDF tenure has made his gunman remove his sandal. The speaker asked whether the media has forgotten that incident. I was subjected for laser treatment at least ten times. I completely lost the sight of one eye and there is only partial sight in the other eye. Still, I walk around without a spectacle due to god’s grace, he said.

No comments: