THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Those who are in the habit of gobbling down watermelon to beat the summer heat be a bit careful. A four-member family in the Thiruvananthapuram city who consumed the red and sweet water melons developed burns in their mouth, cheeks and tongue. They had to undergo treatment for days to get their mouth and associated parts right.
The condition was experienced by the family who bought water melons sold from a pick-up van stationed near Pettah Kanjiravilam temple. The victims also included two children. Within hours after consuming half of the water melon, their mouth became red with rashes. Soon they found it difficult to sense taste and eat solid or hot food articles.
The doctor who they consulted who said the water melon treated with chemicals might have played the villain. According to his instruction, they applied gel and used mouth wash, which was continued for days before their mouth wounds healed.