Manorama Aachi passes away

CHENNAI: Legendary Tamil actress Gopishantha, better known by her stage name Manorama passed away on Saturday night. She was 78 and is survived by her son and singer-actor Boopathy.

She was also lovingly called Manorama Aachi or Aachi by her admirers.

The Tamil actress who has appeared in more than 1,000 films, holds the record of having acted with 5 Chief Ministers of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh. She had acted with MGR, Sivaji Ganesan, NTR, Jayalalithaa, Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth, Nagesh, ‘Cho’ Ramaswamy, ‘Thengai’ Srinivasan and the present-day actors. Manorama’s life in a way resembled the unforgettable Karuppayee-turned Jil Jil Ramamani turned Rojarani of Thillana Mohanambal.

She has also acted in more than 25 Malayalam and Hindi films, besides Tamil and Telugu.  In of one of her last interviews (published 24 September in TOI) Aach was asked if she had any regrets about her life, to this she had said: "I've no regrets at all. I'm blessed in this life."

"Even in my next birth, I want to be born as Manorama again. I want this same life, and same people around me. Most of all, I want my mom with me again."

Her death is a big loss to the Tamil film industry. Her body will be kept for public viewing at her house in Chennai from 1.30 pm, today.

No comments: