Benny Behnan withdraws from poll fray

KOCHI: Benny Behnan, KPCC general secretary and a close confidante of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, has ruled himself out from contesting the upcoming assembly polls. He withdrew at a time when the high command was all set to announce the list. Talking to the media, he said that he took the decision as it is not right to contest the polls without the interest of KPCC chief V M Sudheeran.   

Sudheeran had requested the high command to field former MP P T Thomas instead of Benny Behnan. Sudheeran was against K C Joseph, Adoor Prakash and K Babu contesting the polls.

I have informed my decision to the congress leadership. Thrikkakara was a winning seat guaranteed even by the KPCC observation panel. Even the opposition has so far not levelled any allegation against me. No complaint has been lodged against me even in the booth levels. As I don’t want to create a scene before the chief minister or the party, I am withdrawing from the fray, he said.

Sudheeran had in mind the names of other candidates to contest in Thrikkakara. My name came up only in the discussions held in Kerala. The names of others were heard in New Delhi. The media had carried the news on it. I decided to withdraw after confirming the authenticity of the decision. I will campaign for any candidate fielded in Thrikkakara. I don’t think political activities are just meant to become a legislator, he said. 

No comments: