Finally, Cheriyan tenders apology

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Left leader Cheriyan Philip has returned to the face book finally to apologise to the women community for his allegedly sexist remarks against women.

“If my comments on the face book have hurt the sentiments of the women community, I sincerely express my regret,” Cheriyan wrote on his face book.

“In my entire life, I have never pained or humiliated even a single woman. I was just trying to point out certain unfortunate situations in society and some have tried to misinterpret it. Till death, I am not willing to hurt the dignity of a woman,” he wrote.   

Cheriyan’s controversial post was that certain Congress women disrobed secretly in order to get seats in election.
Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan criticised the comment calling it ‘cultureless’. T N Seema MP also opposed the posting. CPM Politburo member Brinda Karat came out, demanding the withdrawal of the statement. After this, Cheriyan posted his regret.

Meanwhile, CPM State Secretary Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said that he didn’t think Cheiryan to be anti-woman and he (Cheriyan) knew all the inside things in the Congress.

When the chief minister and KPPC president sought Cheriyan’s apology, Mahila Congress State president Bindhu Krishna hinted at fighting it out legally.

No comments: