Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Petition against Vizhinjam transferred to another bench

NEW DELHI: A case related to Vizhinjam port project has been transferred to another bench of the Supreme Court. When the case was considered today, Justices J S Khehar and Nariman informed that they were recusing from the case. Khehar said there was need to hear the case in detail, a reason why they recused from the case.

The case was based on petition filed by Valiyathura native and Swathantra Mathsya Thozhilali Federation leader Anto Elias, seeking to cancel the environmental nod to the project.

The advocate appearing for the company said that sub contracts had been signed following the sanction granted to the project and stopping the project would inflict a heavy loss to the company.

But the petitioner’s counsel Prashant Bhushan said he had visited the project site. He argued that by stopping the project, it was impossible revive the previous environment status of the place. The case will be considered again on January 13.  

Earlier, the Supreme Court had pointed out that “the development projects is a necessity but environment protection can’t be forgone.”

No comments: